Thursday, January 12, 2006

when did the entire world of clothing change sizes on me???

now i've been, roughly, the same size since i was in the 8th grade - i've maybe grown a 1/2 inch, and sure my boobs have gotten somewhat larger. but other than that, i've been the same size 8 - even when i was my skinniest when i was a senior in high school to the heaviest i was a few years ago (yay beer! and eating at odd times cuz of job) but today, i go to spend some xmas cash that grandma gave me, and i started out ok. i tried on a few shirts at a store i've never shopped in. the size 8 black tunic i tried on was just a smidge to big in the sides - but since i've never shopped there i thought it was just the store. but their medium shirt fit me fine, and i was off with my first purchase - a good start.

then i head on over to the republic of bananas....i remember going to the republic for some khakis and funky t-shirts back in the day, but enough with me taking a trip on my back-in-the-day-cycle......i head for the sale rack and find a great looking pair of jeans. and lucky day, size 8 is staring at me. so i pick it up and walk into the dressing room with glee. now not only are these 8 regular length pants WAY to long on me (apparently i've also shrunk) but the waist was just not right. it was puckering in places pants shouldn't. so with great regret i put the jeans on the dressing room discard pile. i wasn't heart broken, but i cursed the other people who are a size 6 and took the last pairs of those jeans. not that i really thought i could fit into the size 6, but now we'll never know.

after wandering around a bit i venture into ann taylor. i find this sweet top - in purple and brown with a busy print, but not too busy, just right and a lovely empire waist. so i pick up the size 8 - surely i can fit into the size 8 here. but i also take the 8 petite and the 6 just to make sure. so on to the dressing room. and the size 8 is too big, and the empire on the petite and 6 does not sit in the right place. foiled again....this time by my boobs!!

so what gives? have all the clothes in all the world been resized? or am i already feeling the effects of osteoporosis (better have a big glass of milk tomorrow) or am i just not the size i thought i was. OR am i now one of those people who's size is an inbetween!?!?! my body has become a stasis leak of a sort, and I'm stuck between this world and the next (or more like size 6 and 8) WHERE ARE THE SEVENS?!?!?!?!

5 Comments:

At 9:22 AM, Blogger Princess Consuela Bananahammock said...

Ahh yes...the great upsizing of America...Take your size, add 2, subtract 4, and buy a belt.

 
At 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Dmize is actually the expert to go to re: Clothes size issues!! He's gone from overweight to "illness" level skinny (according to J's mom) and he never has problems with his pants!

 
At 10:35 AM, Blogger Funkmeister said...

that's cuz he still wears clothes made for bigger people!!! and i don't need a whole wardrobe of khakis and sneakers and nba shirts, thank you very much

 
At 10:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alls I know is I finally found two pairs of jeans that fit me right. FINALLY. Thank you, Nordstrom Rack!(I had to get them hemmed though. WAY TOO LONG! Where are the 7-foot-tall women that all these jeans are supposed to fit?? I ain't seen 'em...)

-mel

 
At 12:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why you gotta hate on free clothes! And I'll be wearing something different than that tonight, as they made me dress up today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home